The A465 is recognised in the Welsh Governments National Transport Plan as a strategically important route and forms part of the Trans European Transport Network. The A465 Section 2 dualling scheme extends for 8.1km from Brynmawr in the West to Gilwern in the East. The aim of the scheme is to upgrade the existing three lane carriageway to a dual carriageway to improve the safety of a notoriously dangerous road and to help stimulate the local economy. The existing single three lane carriageway was constructed in the 1960s with generally two lanes in the uphill direction through the Clydach Gorge.
During early ground investigations, it was established that several side roads serving the A465 were constructed with asphalt containing different types of hydrocarbons, known to be a carcinogenic material and hazardous waste. Following the careful removal and quantification of the Hydrocarbon asphalt material it was clear there was not enough material to make onsite treatment a cost effective option.
Neal Soils Suppliers partnered with Costain to remove 4500 of tonnes hazardous soil and stone from the recent development of the A465 Heads of the Valley Road from July 2018 – October 2018. We, as hazardous waste experts were called in to provide technical expertise for classification and documentation, transport, disposal and recycling calculations. The hazardous soil and stone that was removed was impacted with different hydrocarbons so we removed this waste for treatment at our NSSL Soil Treatment Facility.
“We were satisfied that Neal Soils compliance, performance and facility were of a high standard. Subsequently we instructed Neal Soils to collect and treat the material from our scheme, with the request that the material is tracked beyond our Duty of Care requirements, going a step further to track the material through treatment and to understand where and how it will be reused.” Hywel Woolf, Environmental Manager, Costain.
Our team were given a site tour and explanation of all site procedures and control measures to the higher of standards. Once complete, Costain released the scientific information to us in order to assess against the latest technical guidance WM3 (original released 1 June 2015, Updated June 2018) issued by the regulatory bodies. We found that the assessed materials were hazardous and were contaminated with different ranges of hydrocarbons, meaning they had to be disposed of in the safest way possible.
“Neal Soils were able to collect the material quickly and efficiently whilst also providing evidence of how the material was treated, where it was reused whilst completely avoiding the landfill of any proportion of the material.” Hywel Woolf, Environmental Manager, Costain.
Neal Soil Suppliers assisted Costain in producing the correct paperwork for the transport of waste materials between producer and disposal site as well as supplying the relevant vehicles to remove the materials from various locations on the A465.
From leaving the customers site, we were able to track the waste materials to on-site at our purpose built base in Cardiff. We then processed and produced consignee returns as a result of the transfer of material.
From this project, we were able to produce 100% landfill diversion for this material allowing 99.5% of the material to be recycled for commercial aggregate and soils usage. The remaining 0.5% was sent for further treatment and recovery.
To speak about collaborating on your next project; speak to our team today 02920 797 835